It is our policy to alert owners of possible scams attempted by companies or individuals operating online. On this occasion we would like to share reports received from several Grand Residences owners about a company called The Brokerage Group LLC, which called or emailed them about their units.
This company appears to be operating out of New York. According to the letter we have seen the owner or member is asked to complete and return a form with details of their vacation ownership. Once this is done, and if said membership is deemed qualified for resale, they will then receive an offer from the assigned broker, in this case someone called John Downey.
Royal Resorts has no business relationship with The Brokerage Group LLC or its representatives. We recommend that you do not engage with it or its representatives. Do not submit the membership information requested, and above all, do not send money if they mention a processing fee.
When such companies contact you via email or phone to offer unsolicited broker, resale, exchange or rental services and ask for cash in advance to cover “administrative fees”, “processing fees,” “guarantees” or “deposits” it is generally a good indication that they may not be genuine and if you pay it is very possible that you will not hear from them again.
Protecting your personal information
Always follow these steps if you receive a suspicious email or phone call:
- Check the source of the email if the company or individual claims to be associated with Royal Resorts. All Royal Resorts communications are sent from an official royalresorts.com email address, if this is not the case, then the email is not from Royal Resorts.
• Disregard the email or phone call if money is requested in advance for resale or other timeshare-related services.
• Do not supply personal data or the contact details of friends if referrals are requested.
• Do an online background check on the company to see if it is legitimate.
• Ask Royal Resorts if you are in any doubt, we are here to help you.
• Above all, do not send any money.
We recommend that you avoid disclosing your personal information on forums, blogs and other open media venues and participation in Internet referral schemes that ask you to send the names and details of friends. When you provide your information to others in order to rent, sell or lend your unit please ensure that your information will be protected.